Monday, August 25, 2014

75th Letter 8-25-14

Picture: Elder Sessions is the son of members in Colorado, Tuscany Ward!

Wazzup,

Another week here in Brazil! Things are going great here! Elder Pontes and I are working a little better together and we are putting our good ideas together so we can be a lot more effective. This week was very hot! We have a rule here in the mission that we can’t use short sleeves until the end of this month and I will admit that it has been a hard rule to keep. At times I am dying of heat and I want to change to short sleeve, but what keeps me using the long sleeve is that I need to be a good example to the other missionaries. 

Things in the work are going a little better. This week was rough because we had interviews with President on Thursday, a zone conference on Friday, and Saturday and Sunday we had Stake Conference! This Stake has more members than our stake in STG!! It was so cool to see all the faithful members there! We heard some great talks and they had a choir that was super good as well. Many of the members brought non-member friends and we were able to give a few BOMs to them.

This week we worked a lot with this family that has a son who is less-active. The mom, daughter and grandma are interested and the father left them a few months ago for a job in a different city very far from here and there isn´t any sign that he will return. We had a few lessons with them this week, but I want to talk about the lesson we had with them yesterday.

So we invited the whole family to the stake conference and they all agreed on going. We arrived at their home at 8 o’clock to walk with them to the bus stop. They weren´t awake and they ignored us. We ended up leaving without them. We then returned the same night (Sunday) to see why they didn’t come. On the way to their house Elder Pontes and I were talking about what we will say to them. Elder Pontes is a very nice guy and at times isn’t too bold because he wants to please the people we teach. He told me to be less bold this time so they won’t feel bad. I didn´t agree with this. We arrived there and we started the lesson. He told me to not be bold, so I let him drive the lesson. He asked why they didn’t go to church with us and they gave their excuses. Elder brushed them off as not a huge deal and shared a scripture. After he shared the scripture I felt a prompting that they need to hear the truth right now and I need to be bold or they will never progress.

I continued by explaining about the importance of going to church and our role as missionaries to help them follow Christ. I then asked them the questions, “What does God hope from you?” They responded correctly. I then asked them why they aren’t doing these things. They opened up a lot and they seemed to get a little emotional. I said a lot of things that I don’t remember, but I know the spirit was guiding me in every sentence and word. It was amazing! After they understood more of their purpose and ours. I felt very good about it and Elder Pontes did too.

This experience was a reminder to me that I shouldn’t ever resist on speaking or following the promptings of the Spirit. WE need to always be bold in a loving way. Exactly like Jesus was!

Another great opportunity was to give training with Elder Pontes in the Zone Conference. We talked about the convincing power of God. I was able to talk about the Holy Ghost and the role he plays in this convincing power. It went very well!! Also, it was super funny because we started off the training with a practice. No one knew what we planned before so it was all a surprise to them, but we called a companionship to be investigators and we said we would teach part of Lesson 1 to them clearly and simply. We started off normal, teaching them of our pai celestial, and then we started making questions ridiculous! Ha-ha, like “How old do you think Heavenly Father is?” and “Do you know the name of the higher priesthood?” Questions like this that are horrible. He-he! We did this to show them an example that we need to ask questions that make a difference and help them understand their salvation.

In all the week went very good! : )

Mom, our relationship will continue to grow. Don’t think that when I get home I will stop talking with you and Dad! I won’t make that mistake again! Amy will do great at BYU and things with Steph moving home will be good! I love our family so much!

Dad, everything is going much better! My comp. has 1 year and 3 months on the mission. Hudson will be Amanda & Shaye’s baby’s name? When will he be born? Thanks for the sports update! : )

I love you all very very much! Stay well! : )

Elder Hauck

No comments:

Post a Comment